OneDrive offers the ability to store files in the cloud, access them from multiple devices, and share them with others.
How to Sync OneDrive to Your Mac
When you install the OneDrive app for Mac, a copy of your OneDrive is downloaded to your Mac and put in the OneDrive folder. This folder is kept in sync with OneDrive. If you add, change, or delete a file or folder on the OneDrive website, the file or folder is added, changed, or deleted in your OneDrive folder and vice versa. Setting up OneDrive is extremely helpful if you are downloading documents onto a laptop and copying them over to your iPad. By saving these documents to OneDrive and downloading the app onto your iPad, you can save valuable time and have access to these documents on ANY COMPUTER/DEVICE by logging into your OneDrive account via your e-mail. Additionally, OneDrive can serve as a back-up for all your files in case something ever happens to your device(s).
If you already have a personal OneDrive account set up on your Mac, you can link your Miami account to it. See “Change your preferences.”
Your computer needs to be running OS X version 10.9 or later.
Install the OneDrive app
1. Go to the Mac App Store and search for onedrive. (The app is free.)
2. Click Install.
3. When the app has finished downloading, click Open.
Set up OneDrive
1. Enter your @med.miami.edu email address and click Sign in.
2. When prompted for where this email address is used, click Work or school.
3. At the Office 365 prompt, click Sign in (do not enter your password).
4. Enter your CANEID and password. You may be prompted for a second factor.
5. Click Choose OneDrive Folder Location to select the folder that you will sync to OneDrive.
6. Select a location for your OneDrive folder and then click Choose this location. OneDrive will create a OneDrive – University of Miami folder at this location.
7. You can change the location of your OneDrive folder if you wish. Otherwise, click Next.
8. Choose what you want to download to your OneDrive folder on your Mac and then click Next.
9. The OneDrive is ready for you screen appears. Check the Open at login so my files sync automatically box if you want your sync client to open when you log in to your computer. Click Open my OneDrive – University of Miami folder to show your OneDrive sync folder on your computer.
Change your preferences or link another account
Once OneDrive is set up, you can change your settings from the menu bar.
1. Click the OneDrive icon in the menu bar and click Preferences.
2. In the OneDrive preferences, you can change your settings or add an account.
How to Sync OneDrive for Business to Your PC
The instructions below are for Windows users who have Office 2016 or later installed.By syncing your OneDrive for Business to your PC, documents that are currently stored only in your OneDrive for Business will also be available in your File Explorer on your PC.
1. In your Miami email, click the app launcher (square icon) and then click OneDrive.
2. Click Sync.
3. Click Sync now.
4. To find your OneDrive documents on your PC, if the Launch Application window displays, select OneDrive for Business and click Open link. Otherwise, right-click the Windows Start button and then click File Explorer.
5. Once in File Explorer, click OneDrive for Business in the column on the left. You will then be able to see all of your documents that you had stored in OneDrive. (Note: Syncing does not remove these documents from your OneDrive — it just allows these documents to be accessible from both your OneDrive and your PC.)
Please contact Kristin Gmunder, IT Officer, if you need any additional assistance.